SISTER House, Inc., a 501 (c) (3) organization, assists women returning to the Madison community after spending time in jail, prison, or drug/alcohol treatment. In September 2010, we sponsored the opening of Wisconsin’s first Oxford House for women – Madison Place Oxford House. Then, in April 2012 we opened our second house – Northside Oxford House. Oxford Houses are homes where people committed to their recovery from alcohol or drug addiction can live safely and affordably. Once opened, each house is democratically run and financially self-supported by the people who live there. It’s a model that works!
In addition, we have recently started our rental assistance program. Currently we help three women each month with their rent either at their apartment or at the Oxford House. The funds for this program come from what we call our 20/20 club. This is a group of people who have committed to donating $20 each month for 20 months. We have many people who have faithfully donated to this for many years.
There are many ways you can help! Here are just a few:
- Pray for the women living in our Oxford Houses, the SISTER House mentors, and all people struggling with addiction.
- Become a part of our 20/20 club, or make a one-time monetary donation.
- Talk to Janice or Debi (contact information below) about becoming a mentor for the women. This includes giving rides to the store, job interviews, or support meetings; being a “friend” to one or more of the women by talking to them, going for coffee, helping with budgeting, giving advice; or attending weekly house meetings.
- If you have skills in website development, we would love some help updating our current website: www.sisterhousemadison.org.
- Donate Walmart gift cards in small amounts for new women to buy personal items.
- Donate items to make welcome baskets to be delivered to women upon moving into the house (usually $7-$10 worth of “girly” items just to make the women feel welcome).
- Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be added to the e-mail distribution list. That is the best way to find out the most up-to-date information about what is needed. This is where we send out information about upcoming fundraisers, open houses, work days, and specific needs the women have.
For more information please contact email@example.com; Janice Newell, treasurer, at (608) 279-2793 or Debi Shepherd-Wundrow at (608) 235-7994. We really appreciate your support of SISTER House!